Habitat for Humanity of Durham - Youth United
Youth United and Collegiate Challenge with Durham Habitat
Youth United mobilizes young people (5 to 25) to fund and build homes in partnership with Habitat for Humanity of Durham. This initiative encourages a young people from all over Durham to be educated about and help meet Durham’s affordable housing needs! They are called on to fundraise, build, and participate in educational and advocacy activities in support of affordable housing.
There are over 30 local schools and colleges, Collegiate Challenge groups, church youth groups, agencies, families and individuals currently partnered with Youth United! Join them in making the world a better place, by supporting their fundraising efforts here!
What do you know about Durham Habitat?
Myth: Habitat gives homes away.
• Habitat builds and sells homes to approved homeowners. Habitat offers a hand up, not a hand-out. The opportunity is a zero percent interest loan.
Myth: Habitat homeowners can't afford to own their own homes.
• Habitat mortgages are typically $250 less than average rental rates!
• Habitat homeowners family income is between $16,000 and $40,000 (30-60% of Durham's average median income) - families that are hardworking and deserving, but simply do not earn quite enough to be approved for a conventional bank loan.
• Habitat keeps homes affordable by accepting sweat equity work (usually 250-400 hours) instead of a cash down payment, by lending mortgage money at zero percent interest, by relying on volunteer labor to build homes, and by building energy efficient green homes that are less expensive to live in.
Myth: Habitat just builds homes.
• Habitat builds beautiful new homes, rehabs existing historic homes, and provides urgent and critical repairs for Durham homeowners. We build community and engage thousands of volunteers in Durham's affordable housing needs each year.
Habitat for Humanity of Durham www.durhamhabitat.org 919-682-0516